This 5 day course is designed to provide the student with the basic understanding required to handle and use Explosives Substances & Articles (ESA) safely. Personnel with little or no formal knowledge of explosives and other more experienced explosives workers who may want to formalise their vocational qualifications and experience through an academic award.
Organisations engaged in the Explosives Sector are required to satisfy the requirements of Explosives Regulations 2014 (ER 2014) or DSA 03 - OME. Both sets of regulations call for the demonstration of an individuals training and competency for the work and DSA 03 - OME specifically requires that this must be demonstrated against the standards of best practice and these are the National Occupational Standards (NOS) for Explosives Substances & Articles (ESA).
To introduce the student to the following:
- The differences and applications of high and low explosives
- The principles and objectives of explosives trains
- Explosive power and effects
- Standing Operating Procedures when carrying out an explosive demolition operation
- The responsibilities of supervisors of personnel carrying out explosive demolition operations
- Explosive Health & Safety and First Aid in respect of blast injuries
- To handle and use explosives confidently and competently, including the making up of ring mains and line detonation systems